Are you wondering what to serve with chicken and dumplings?
It’s a beloved comfort food that can seem like it has limitless possibilities, but when it comes down to finding the right accompaniment, we often become perplexed.
With so many flavors and options, picking sides for chicken and dumplings becomes overwhelming–even more so if you’re in charge of hosting dinner!
But don’t fret; hopefully this blog post will help relieve any pressure associated with picking out side dishes.
Here are 15 delicious side dishes that pairs wonderfully with chicken and dumplings to create an unforgettable meal!
What to Serve with Chicken and Dumplings? 15 Side Dishes to Try
1. Spring Mix Salad
Looking for a tasty and easy side dish to pair with your chicken and dumplings? A spring mix salad is a perfect option.
This type of salad is always fresh and full of flavor.
Plus, it’s super easy to make.
Simply chop up some lettuce, and add in some diced tomatoes, croutons, and your favorite salad dressing.
One of the best things about a spring mix salad is that it’s so versatile.
You can really add any type of ingredient you want.
Not a fan of tomatoes? Leave them out.
Don’t like croutons? Add in some nuts or seeds instead.
Another great thing about this dish is that it’s light and refreshing.
It’s the perfect side to any heavy meal.
So if you’re looking for something healthy and delicious to serve with your chicken and dumplings, a spring mix salad is the way to go.
2. Tomato Cucumber Mozzarella Salad
This salad is the perfect combination of fresh and flavorful ingredients, and it comes together in just a few minutes.
The key to this salad is using fresh, ripe tomatoes and cucumbers.
I like to use heirloom tomatoes for their sweetness and vibrant color, but any type of tomato will work.
The cucumbers add a refreshing crunch, and the mozzarella adds a creamy element that ties everything together.
I like to dress this salad simply with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
But if you want to get fancy, you could add some chopped fresh herbs or a drizzle of truffle oil.
This salad is best served immediately after it’s made, but it will keep in the fridge for an hour or two.
Just be sure to bring it back to room temperature before serving.
3. Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins
Start your day with a delicious and nutritious breakfast with these Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins.
This recipe is packed with whole grains, fiber, and protein to give you sustained energy throughout the day.
The buttermilk adds a rich flavor and moist texture to the cornbread, while the addition of corn kernels gives it a pop of sweetness and crunch.
These muffins are perfect on their own or served alongside a hearty soup or stew.
Here are some tips for making the perfect Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins:
- Be sure to use buttermilk that is at room temperature; if it is too cold, it will curdle when combined with the other ingredients.
- Use a light hand when stirring the batter; overmixing will result in tough muffins.
- For extra crunch and sweetness, top the muffins with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar before baking.
4. Buttery Garlic Bread Chips
Buttery garlic bread chips are the perfect side dish to any meal, and they’re so easy to make.
All you need is a loaf of bread, some butter, garlic, and salt.
You can also add other herbs or spices if you want to change the flavor.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s so versatile.
You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want.
If you’re in a hurry, you can just throw everything in the oven and be done with it.
But if you want to take your time and really enjoy the process, you can start by slicing the bread into thin chips, then brush them with garlic-infused butter, and finally bake them until they’re nice and crispy.
No matter how you make them, buttery garlic bread chips are always delicious.
They’re perfect for dipping into sauces or eating on their own as a snack.
And they’re sure to please everyone at the table.
5. Beet and Mandarin Orange Salad
Looking for a unique and tasty salad to serve with your chicken and dumplings? Beet and Mandarin Orange Salad is a great option.
This salad is not only beautiful to look at, but it’s also delicious and full of flavor.
The beets add an earthy sweetness, while the mandarin oranges provide a tart and juicy contrast.
The combination of flavors is simply irresistible.
Here are some tips for making the perfect Beet and Mandarin Orange Salad:
- Start by roasting your beets. This will help to bring out their natural sweetness. Simply place them on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
- Once the beets are roasted, allow them to cool before peeling and slicing them into thin wedges.
- Next, add the mandarin oranges, red onion, and crumbled feta cheese to the mix.
- For the dressing, simply whisk together olive oil, white wine vinegar, orange juice, honey, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Toss everything together and enjoy.
6. Grape Salad
Looking for a unique and tasty salad to serve alongside your chicken and dumplings? Why not try a grape salad? This dish is packed with flavor and is sure to be a hit with your guests.
One of the great things about this salad is that it can be made ahead of time.
Simply grapes, some chopped nuts, and a creamy dressing, and you’re good to go.
The salad can also be easily customized to fit your taste.
Add in some blue cheese or swap out the walnuts for pecans.
Get creative and make it your own.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when making grape salad:
- Use a mix of grapes for the best flavor. Red and green grapes work well together.
- Be sure to chop the nuts finely so that they don’t overpower the other ingredients.
- For the dressing, use a simple mixture of mayonnaise, sour cream, and sugar. You can also add in a touch of vinegar or lemon juice for an extra zing.
7. Fried Cabbage with Bacon
Fried cabbage with bacon is a great recipe to try if you’re looking for something new and delicious.
This dish is packed with flavor and is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
The best part about fried cabbage with bacon is that it’s relatively easy to make.
Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of this dish:
- Be sure to cook the bacon before adding it to the cabbage. This will ensure that the bacon is nice and crispy.
- If you want, you can add some diced onion to the cabbage while it’s frying. This will give the dish an even more savory flavor.
- Don’t be afraid to let the cabbage get nice and brown in the pan. This will give it a delicious caramelized flavor that takes this dish to the next level.
8. Sweet Onion Hush Puppies
A hush puppy is a small, deep-fried cornmeal batter cake that is popular in the southern United States.
They are typically served as a side dish with fried seafood or other fried foods.
Hush puppies can be either sweet or savory, but they are usually on the sweeter side.
This recipe for sweet onion hush puppies is a great one to try if you’re looking for something new and different to serve as a side dish.
The hush puppies are made with a combination of cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
The batter is then flavored with diced onion and sweetened with molasses.
When you’re making hush puppies, it’s important to not overmix the batter.
Overmixing will result in tough hush puppies.
The key is to mix everything just until it’s combined.
Another tip is to use a small ice cream scoop or spoon to portion out the batter so that all of the hush puppies are uniform in size.
9. Air Fryer Baked Apples
Looking for a delicious and easy-to-make dessert? Try air fryer baked apples.
This recipe is perfect for those who want to enjoy the taste of baked apples without all the hassle.
And it’s also a healthier alternative to traditional baking methods.
Air fryer baked apples are made by coating sliced apples in a sugar and spice mixture, then air frying them until they’re tender and caramelized.
The result is a sweet and savory treat that’s perfect for any occasion.
Plus, this recipe is so simple to make that even beginners can master it.
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect air fryer baked apples:
- Be sure to use firm, fresh apples for this recipe. We recommend using Granny Smith apples because they hold up well during cooking and have a tart flavor that pairs well with the sweet spices in this dish.
- If you want your air fryer baked apples to be extra crispy, coat them in a thin layer of flour before air frying. This will help the sugar and spice mixture adhere to the apples better and create a nice crust.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket when cooking this dish. Cook the apples in batches if necessary so that they have plenty of space to caramelize evenly.
10. Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
Have you ever tried southern fried green tomatoes? If not, you’re missing out on a delicious treat.
These tasty little bites are perfect for any occasion, and they’re surprisingly easy to make.
Green tomatoes are coated in a light batter and then fried to perfection.
They can be served as an appetizer or a side dish, and they’re sure to please everyone at the table.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s so versatile – you can adjust the seasoning to suit your taste, and you can even add a bit of spice if you like.
11. Apple Walnut Cranberry Salad
This Apple Walnut Cranberry Salad is the perfect side dish for any fall meal.
It’s packed with delicious flavors, and it’s so easy to make.
The best part about this salad is that it can be made ahead of time, so you don’t have to worry about it last minute.
The combination of apples, walnuts, and cranberries makes for a very flavorful and tasty salad.
The sweetness of the apples pairs perfectly with the tartness of the cranberries, and the walnuts add a nice crunch.
If you want, you can also add some crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese to the salad for an extra bit of flavor.
To make this salad, simply combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix them together.
If you’re making it ahead of time, you can store it in the fridge for up to a day before serving.
When you’re ready to serve, just give it a good stir and enjoy.
12. Lemon Arugula Salad
Have you ever had a dish that’s so good that you can’t stop thinking about it days after you’ve eaten it? That’s how I feel about this lemon arugula salad.
It’s the perfect mix of tangy and sweet, with a little bit of crunch from the toasted almonds.
And it’s so easy to make.
The best part about this salad is that it only takes a few minutes to throw together.
The longest part is waiting for the almonds to toast in the oven.
But while they’re doing their thing, you can quickly whisk up the dressing and chop up the arugula.
By the time the almonds are done, your salad will be too.
If you’re looking for a flavor-packed salad that will leave you feeling satisfied, look no further than this lemon arugula salad.
The combination of tart lemon juice, earthy olive oil, and sweet honey is irresistible.
And if you want a little bit of texture in your salad, the toasted almonds add the perfect crunch.
13. Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls
If you’re looking for a delicious and unique way to spruce up your dinner table, then you’ve got to try these butternut squash dinner rolls.
They’re packed with flavor, and they’re sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Butternut squash is a great ingredient to use in recipes because it’s so versatile.
It has a subtle sweetness that pairs well with savory dishes, and it’s also packed with nutrients like vitamins A and C.
This recipe takes advantage of all of those wonderful flavors and nutrients by using roasted butternut squash in the dough for these rolls.
The result is a light and fluffy roll that is bursting with flavor.
These rolls are perfect for any fall or winter meal, and they’re sure to become a new favorite in your household.
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect butternut squash dinner rolls:
- Be sure to roast the butternut squash before adding it to the dough. This will help to bring out its natural sweetness and make it easier to work with.
- If you don’t have time to roast the squash, you can also use canned pureed butternut squash. Just be sure to drain it well before adding it to the dough.
- The dough for these rolls is very sticky, so be sure to flour your work surface generously before working with it.
- These rolls can be baked ahead of time and frozen for later. Just be sure to thaw them before reheating so that they don’t dry out.
14. Savory Monkey Bread
This savory monkey bread is the perfect recipe to try if you’re looking for something new and tasty.
The flavor is amazing, and the dish is so easy to make.
Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover bread that you might have.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s so versatile.
You can add whatever herbs or spices you like, so feel free to experiment.
I also like to add a bit of grated cheese on top before baking, which really takes it to the next level.
Here are a few tips for making the perfect savory monkey bread:
- I like to use sourdough or ciabatta, but you can really use any type of bread that you like.
- If you’re using fresh herbs, be sure to chop them very finely so that they don’t overwhelm the other flavors in the dish.
- When adding the cheese, be sure to use one that has a strong flavor. A milder cheese will get lost in all the other flavors.
15. Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
Are you in the mood for some southern comfort food? Then you need to try this recipe for southern buttermilk biscuits.
Buttermilk biscuits are a staple in southern cooking, and for a good reason.
They’re delicious, fluffy, and so easy to make.
Plus, they go great with just about any meal.
If you’ve never had buttermilk biscuits before, then you’re in for a treat.
They have a rich, buttery flavor that is simply irresistible.
And when they’re paired with chicken and dumplings, they make the perfect comfort food meal.
To make buttermilk biscuits, you’ll need all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter, buttermilk, and an egg.
The key to making light and fluffy biscuits is to not overwork the dough.
Be sure to mix everything together just until it’s combined.
Then, use a biscuit cutter to cut out your biscuits.
Place them on a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes.
Enjoy your homemade southern buttermilk biscuits with chicken and dumplings or any other way you like.
In conclusion, I have listed 15 side dishes that go great with chicken and dumplings.
I have also provided short descriptions of each dish along with their respective flavors.
I hope this list has been helpful in deciding what to serve with your next chicken and dumplings dish.
Be sure to try some of these dishes the next time you make chicken and dumplings, and let us know how you liked them.